Spring Decorating Ideas: Ten tips for a home makeover
It’s official: Spring is finally here. As the fields start to fill with lambs and golden daffodils promise more bright days ahead, what better way to firmly blow away any lingering winter cobwebs than by treating your home to a makeover? Here are Michael Graham’s top tips for a lighter and brighter home this spring.
- A fresh coat of paint – Longer, brighter days shine an unforgiving spotlight on tired walls. A simple lick of paint covers a multitude of sins so focus on the rooms you use the most often and banish those fingerprints, scuffs and scrapes. Check out the Farrow & Ball range of 132 paint colours which all react to different types of light to bring your walls to life.
- Animal prints - At Michael Graham we’re loving Sophie Allport’s country collection, especially the sheep, Labrador and bird prints which will add a touch of the rural idyll to even the most urban of homes.
- Flower power – Nothing says spring like flowers. A jug of daffodils on the kitchen table. Perfection.
- Reorganise the pantry – clear and restack shelves, checking sell-by dates.
- Magical mirrors – Not like in Snow White, but the effect mirrors will have on the light in your home. Experiment with hanging them on different walls, ideally opposite windows so that the light from outside will reflect back into your house. If you’re feeling inspired, buy a pack of polished edge mirror tiles from any home store and create your own wall design.
- Fluffy fabrics – Changing towels, bathmats, tea towels and oven gloves is a quick and low-cost way to sharpen up the overall look of a kitchen or bathroom.
- Cosy cushions – Transform sitting rooms and bedrooms with throws and cushions in this seasons shades and fabrics.
- Paint the front door – Try a new colour.
- Clean the windows – The feng shui tip we all know makes sense. Welcome in as much natural light as possible through sparkling windows.
- Clear the clutter – You know you’ll feel lighter if you take the plunge.
Do you have a spring makeover tip? We’d love to hear. And if spring in the air is making you dream of pastures new, why not check out our town and country properties for sale, or to rent, at michaelgraham.co.uk