Following on from the announcement of a third national lockdown, we can confirm that the latest government guidance is that the property market will remain open. At Michael Graham we are fully open for business and our foremost concern remains the safety of our staff and our customers.
Written by Wesley Muchimwe | 5th January 2021
Latest Update on Coronavirus
General guidance can be found via this link and the content relating to the property industry outlines the following:
You can still move home. People outside your household or support bubble should not help with moving house unless absolutely necessary. Estate and letting agents and removals firms can continue to work. If you are looking to move, you can go to property viewings. Follow the national guidance on moving home safely, which includes advice on social distancing, letting fresh air in, and wearing a face covering.
We will continue to operate in the covid-safe way we have established, adhering to all government guidelines on how to safely conduct viewings. We are also here to help so please don’t hesitate to contact us via your local Michael Graham office or by asking a question via our online chat service.
We remain committed to helping you move safely during this uncertain and challenging time. Please take a moment to read the answers below to some of the most commonly asked questions:
- What are the rules on viewing properties? As long as you are not displaying any Covid-19 symptoms such as a temperature or a new and continuous cough you can view a property and allow viewings in your home, provided that all social distancing rules are followed and face coverings worn. We respectfully ask that home owners contain any pets and vacate their property while a viewing is in progress. Viewing time inside the property will be kept to a reasonable minimum and any questions arising will be answered outside of the property or over the telephone.
- My home is not yet on the market, can I view a property speculatively? Speculative viewings should only take place via our 3-D immersive virtual tours which have proved particularly popular since the first lockdown. We strongly encourage customers to only request a physical viewing if they have a strong and keen interest in the property and are in a financial position to proceed with an offer.
- How many people can go on a viewing? Only one household can accompany the agent on a viewing and children should not be taken along if at all possible to limit numbers inside the property at any one time.
- How will viewings be conducted? Prior to any viewing, the prospective buyer and seller will be asked to confirm that they have not presented any of the symptoms associated with Covid-19 in the previous 7 days. No viewing will go ahead if either party has shown symptoms or has been self-isolating. During a viewing you must comply with government guidelines that include following social distancing rules, wearing a face covering and avoiding touching surfaces. We have a supply of masks and gloves should you need them and will talk through all these measures with you once a viewing is confirmed.
- As a seller, how should I prepare for viewings? Please ensure good ventilation inside your home by opening windows and all internal doors prior to the viewing. Provide hand sanitiser for use by visitors on arrival and please allow access to handwashing facilities. We will remind prospective buyers not to touch surfaces, but after the viewing, please spray or wipe down door handles with an antibacterial cleaning product.
- Who will be allowed inside my property? Prospective buyers or renters, estate agents, conveyancers, surveyors, tradespeople and removal workers are all allowed to enter your property, as long as social distancing guidelines are followed and face coverings worn.
- If the chain collapses in my sale due to the latest coronavirus situation, what will happen? We are expert at dealing with bumps in the road during the sales process and communication is key at this time. We will liaise with all parties and do our best to get your sale back on track. If this sadly isn’t possible we will work on a new plan for your property.
- Can I still get a valuation? Yes, we are still carrying out valuations in a safe and socially distant way. Click on the free market appraisal icon on our website to book yours now.
- Given even more uncertainty in the country with this new strain of coronavirus, is it best to put my home sale on hold for now? We would advise against any delay in marketing your home for sale. The new year is one of the busiest times in the housing market and there will be a lot of new buyers browsing homes for sale and rent.
- How have your working practices changed to ensure the safety of your staff? All of our offices were risk assessed at the start of the pandemic and signage put in place to ensure our team and all visitors adhered to the government guidance for social distancing. We review the situation every day. Our Covid-secure offices are happy to receive customers according to goverment guidance as of 12th April 2021.
Please do get in touch if you have any other queries or concerns. If you’re a house seller, potential buyer, landlord or tenant we are ready to help. We are committed to keeping you moving safely.