Make the most of your garden this summer…
Tomorrow marks the start of this year’s Chelsea Flower Show, the highlight of calendars of the green-fingered everywhere. Visitors to the annual event will be able to marvel at the range of exciting, relaxing and stimulating show gardens, and perhaps pick up some tips to take home.
Whether or not you manage to get down to the Royal Horticultural Society showcase, your thoughts may still be turning towards your own outdoor space and how to make the most of it.
So, we’ve put together our top five garden trends for this summer, to help motivate and inspire you to love your outdoor space, come rain or shine.
1. Bold and bright. Go big on colour, mixing vibrant shades in your planting schemes. According to HouseBeautiful.co.uk, blocks of colour that really catch the eye are the way to go, such as bold blue delphiniums, bright pink dahlias and citrusy verbascumi.
2. Foodie heaven. Building on the popularity of buying locally sourced produce, more and more people will be growing their own. Whether you have an ample plot, a small patio or a few window boxes, edible gardening looks set to be a strong trend.
3. Inside out. From pretty chimineas and solid fire pits to pizza ovens and top-of-the-range barbecues, it’s all about taking the inside outside. There’s something for all budgets, and a great range that will take you through the year into the autumn.
4. Vertical lines. The appetite for planting upwards (or downwards) continues, enabling those with the smallest areas to embrace gardening. With wall- or fence-mounted planters you can create a space that’s cascading with colour.
5. And… RELAX! They say a garden is a thing of beauty and a job for life, but don’t forget to enjoy it. Your garden is also your haven, and the trend for garden beds – the type recline, not plant – is our favourite! So lay back and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
The RHS Chelsea Flower Show runs from Tuesday 24 to Saturday 28 May.