4 High Street, Sherington, Buckinghamshire, MK16 9NB
- Grade II listed 18th century Manor House
- Complete fully working moat designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument
- Seven bedrooms, four bathrooms
- Four reception rooms
- Detached barn with a one bedroom annexe and gym
- Double garage, double carport with 50Kw electric car charger
- Gated parking
- Just under 4.5 acres of gardens with outside entertaining space
A Grade II listed 18th century Manor House with just under 4.5 acres of gardens, a complete working moat, and detached outbuildings with an annexe, a gym, a double garage and a double carport.
The property is on the edge of the rural village of Sherington between Olney and Newport Pagnell and is only 15 minutes drive from Milton Keynes Central which has regular trains to London in just over 30 minutes. The property overlooks farmland to the front and it has approximately 5,940 sq. ft. of versatile accommodation including a one-bedroom annexe and a gym in one of the two detached barns. If preferred, planning permission is in place to convert the gym into additional bedrooms to create a three-bedroom annexe. The property benefits from mains water, mains gas and has excellent internet coverage throughout.
About the House cont'd
The oldest part of the house dates back to the 18th century but there have been several additions over the centuries including an extension to the rear in the 19th century and, most recently, an extension in 2015 which added an entrance hall with additional staircase to the first floor, and a modern kitchen/breakfast room, utility room and adjoining family room. Great care was taken when extending to match the stonework and style of the existing building. Remote controlled timber gates lead to a private courtyard garden which is bordered on three sides by the house and the barns. The courtyard provides secure parking, access to the garage and carport, and has a mature walnut tree in a central bed. The property has just under 4.5 acres of gardens and grounds which are surrounded by a moat which is designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
History and Heritage
The history of the Manor and its moat goes back over 900 years. After the Norman Conquest, William the Conqueror gave the whole of Sherington to one of his followers, Geoffrey de Mowbray, the Bishop of Coutances. Subsequently, it passed to the de Carun family. In the mid-1100s William de Carun moved the main Sherington Manor to a site next to the Church, and parts of his estate were sold off, including the moated Manor House. In about 1255, the property was purchased by John de Cave and it remained in the Cave family until the late 15th century, by which time it had assumed the title of The Manor of Caves or Caves Manor. Richard Maryot died in possession of the manor in 1491, and it continued in the hands of his widow, Katherine, until at least 1527. William Montgomery received the manor in an exchange of property in 1571, and in 1601 arranged to settle the whole estate on his son.
In 1627 Caves Manor was conveyed by Sir Francis Clarke to Sir Richard Norton and it continued in the possession of the Norton family until the late 17th century when it passed by marriage to the Pargiters. On Thomas Pargiters death in 1712 the moated manor estate was inherited by his daughter Susannah and her husband, James Smith of Passenham in Northamptonshire. Susannahs grandson Dryden Smith, a prosperous shipbuilder based at Wapping, inherited the estate in 1770. He built the current Manor House outside the moat to the west, demolished the old house which stood upon the island, and turned the island into a garden and orchard to enhance the setting of his new house. Subsequent owners include Dr John Cheyne, who was Physician-General to the Army in Ireland, and has a memorial in St. Lauds churchyard.
The main entrance is at the rear of the property from the courtyard into the entrance hall which is part of the most recent extension added in 2015. The entrance hall has stone flooring, a cloakroom, a timber and glazed panel staircase to the first floor, a cupboard for coats and shoes and an inset cupboard which houses the controls for the audio systems and the CCTV. There is an opening to the inner hall which has the back stairs and an understairs area which was originally a coal cellar and which is currently used as a wine cellar.
Principal Reception Rooms
The formal drawing room has a high ceiling with an ornate ceiling rose, and a fireplace with a log burning stove. Two windows overlook the formal garden and double doors open to the entertaining area in the rear garden. The original front door enters directly into the dining room which measures over 26ft. by nearly 15ft. and has an exposed parquet floor. There is a feature fireplace, with an ornate overmantel, housing a gas fire, built-in storage, and a window to the front with a deep sill and original shutters.
Other Reception Rooms
The music room has a window overlooking the courtyard and built-in cupboards and shelves on either side of the fireplace. The study has a fireplace with a timber surround, built-in shelved storage, and French doors, with wing windows, to the front garden.
This area of the property has been enhanced by the modern extension added in 2015. The family room has exposed parquet flooring, two windows and a door to the front, and a lift to the first floor. A modern gas fire is inset into the chimney breast with a recess above for a TV. This room is open plan to the kitchen/breakfast room which is fitted with a comprehensive range of full height, base and wall units with touch opening. The complementary work surface incorporates a sink under the wide window which overlooks the courtyard and garden. This sink has a Quooker boiling water tap and there is also a prep sink in the peninsula island which includes a breakfast bar to seat four. Miele appliances include a dishwasher, a warming drawer, and a double oven with a steam oven. The five ring gas hob has a retractable Gaggenau extractor fan. There is space for a full height fridge and a full height freezer.
The utility room has a door to the courtyard and a door to the family room. It is fitted with a range of storage including full height and base units and extensive shelving. There is a Belfast sink, and space and plumbing for a washing machine and a tumble dryer.
Master Bedroom Suite
The master bedroom suite occupies the whole of the first floor at the rear of the property and is accessed via the stairs from the entrance hall. The dressing room has a range of fitted hanging rails, drawers and shoe storage, and space for a dressing table under a window overlooking the courtyard. The dual aspect bedroom has a further dressing area behind an inset wall which positions the bed in the best place to see the views over the garden and moat. The en suite has a free standing bath, a walk-through shower, a concealed cistern WC, and a washbasin with storage behind the mirrors above. Two windows overlook the courtyard and a feature stained glass window overlooks the stairs.
Other First Floor Bedrooms and Bathrooms
The half landing in the modern section of the property has an opening giving access to the rest of the first floor, in the older part of the house, which can also be accessed via the back stairs and by the lift from the family room. The lift opens into a suite which is separated from the main landing by a door and has a dual aspect double bedroom and an adjoining wet room. The guest bedroom has a window to the front and built-in storage. This room uses the family bathroom which has a contemporary suite with a free standing bath, a walk-in shower, a vanity washbasin, and a concealed cistern WC. The other bedroom is currently used as a laundry room but has two pull down single beds in built-in units along one wall.
There are two further double bedrooms on the second floor which both have built-in storage and windows to the front with window seats. There is also a single bedroom which is currently used as a TV room. The shower room has a double shower cubicle, a vanity washbasin, a WC and a feature stained glass window to the landing.
The Road Barn
The Road Barn bordering the road has a double garage with a cloakroom, and the rest has been converted into ancillary accommodation. On the ground floor there is a triple aspect kitchen/sitting room with a log burning stove and built-in cupboards and shelves. It is currently being used as an office for working from home. The kitchen area has a range of high gloss wall and base units, a sink, an oven, a fridge, a microwave and a dishwasher. On the first floor there is a dual aspect bedroom with views over farmland, a walk-in storeroom, and a shower room. The rest of the space, which measures over 24 ft. by 16 ft., is currently used as a gym and has space for 5 machines. Planning permission is in place to convert this room into two additional bedrooms if desired and a second blocked off Velux window is already in place to facilitate the conversion. A door at the far end of the room leads to stairs down to the garage.
The Moat Barn
The second barn, the Moat Barn, on the other side of the courtyard has a double carport, one of which is fitted with a 50k superfast electric car charger. Adjoining the carport is a vaulted triple aspect room, with a gable end window, which is currently used as a potting shed. It has power and wi-fi connected. Although not currently insulated to accommodation standards, planning permission is in place to upgrade it if required.
The original two room Victorian gardeners cottage remains on the island and provides a focal point. The larger room has a kitchenette and is used as a break room by the current gardeners.
Outdoor Kitchen and Cantilevered Deck
A timber gazebo with a tiled roof shelters the outdoor kitchen which has a range of units in a U shape with work surfaces incorporating an inset sink and a bar area. Integrated appliances include a fridge and a dishwasher and there is a Big Green Egg cooker with an extractor above. A paved terrace next to the kitchen has space for a dining table and chairs.In addition to the paved terrace there is also a decked area which is partially cantilevered over the moat. It has space for seating and a sun umbrella.
In addition to the two fixed bridges over the moat the vendors have also added a floating bridge, with a central feature fountain, which connects the formal garden and entertainment area with the island. The flat lawned area on the island opposite the house has been used for marquees for larger entertainments.A further bridge, built using fallen tree trunks, crosses the moat on the south arm.
Gardens and Grounds
The gardens are a National Monument and are a major feature of the property. Their renovations and restoration are almost entirely the work of the vendors who consulted a garden historian for advice on layout. The formal garden, near the house, has clipped box beds, including rose beds and Mediterranean herbs, brick and gravel paths, water features, a dahlia bed, and seating areas. The rest of the garden is mainly lawned with an extensive range of specimen trees including a tulip tree, a handkerchief tree, a jacaranda, a weeping beech and willows. Shaped yew hedges divide the garden into separate areas. One area, where the old Manor stood, is currently used for tennis.
The Moat and Island
The moat measures between 6m and 10m in width and is supplied by an inlet at the eastern corner, while an iron sluice gate and channel at the southern corner provides the outflow. Access to the island is provided by two footbridges on the north and west arms. The bridge across the northern arm is constructed in brick with a single archway, and a low parapet with box hedge edging. The keystone on the arch is dated 1846. The island is rectangular and measures about 95m by 70m. It is generally level with some raised banks which give views back towards the house and countryside beyond. A substantial bank on the east of the moat contains a small icehouse.The area beyond the moat is wooded and has been allowed to grow wilder with thousands of native bulbs, including lily of the valley and bluebells, planted. This area also contains a vegetable garden and several beehives. There is also an area for compost bins, a garden machinery store, a chicken run, and a greenhouse.
The village of Sherington has a village shop, The White Hart public house, a Church, sports pavilion and Sherington Church of England primary school. Secondary education is available at Ousedale schools in Newport Pagnell and Olney, or the Bedford Harpur Trust schools which are 13 miles away.The property is only about 6 minutes drive from amenities in the Georgian market town of Olney and is only 15 minutes drive from Milton Keynes which has one of Europes largest covered shopping centres as well as a theatre, cinemas, indoor skiing and other attractions.
You may also like
Chase Park Road, Yardley Hastings, Northamptonshire, NN7 1HF