Great Farm House
Silsoe Road, Maulden, Bedfordshire, MK45 2AZ
- A Grade II listed Georgian detached house
- Six bedrooms; five bath or shower rooms
- Five reception rooms
- Kitchen/breakfast room with underfloor heating and utility room
- Self-contained annexe potential in one wing
- Triple garage with workshop and tool store
- Just under 4 acres of landscaped grounds with tennis court and swimming pool
- Rural location with far reaching countryside views
A Grade II listed Georgian six bedroom detached house with an indoor swimming pool, a tennis court, a triple garage and just under 4 acres of landscaped gardens.
The house is built of red brick on an ironstone plinth and has a hipped slate roof and the archetypal deep sash windows and symmetrical design of the Georgian era. It has a central two storey double pile house with single storey service wings projecting either side, providing approximately 7,400 sq. ft. of versatile accommodation. There are six bedrooms, five reception rooms and five bath or shower rooms. Part of one of the wings could be used as a self-contained annexe if required. The property is approached via a long drive to automatic electric gates which open to a private gravel drive providing extensive parking and access to the detached garage. The oversized triple garage measures over 44 ft. by 21 ft. and is accessed via three sets of double doors. There is an adjoining workshop, a WC and a tool store. Granary Cottage, just outside the gates, is available by separate negotiation.
About the House
The property has just under 4 acres of landscaped gardens with far reaching views over the surrounding countryside. It combines rural tranquillity with the benefit of being within walking distance of amenities in the village which include The George pub and restaurant and a small supermarket. It is less than 3 miles from the Georgian market town of Ampthill and less than 30 minutes drive from all the amenities in Milton Keynes.
History and Heritage
The property was built in 1815 for the Duke of Bedford and a ledger of the building works, referring to the property as Maulden New Farm, reveal building costs came to a total of just under £5120. In the 1841 census the farm, with 630 acres of land, was tenanted by Thomas Overman with his family and three servants. By the 1871 census the tenancy had passed to George Street who farmed 500 acres and lived in the house with his family and five servants including a governess and groom.In 1910 Swaffield and Sons Architects of Ampthill were employed by the then Duke to make some alterations to the property and the Duke sold it in 1911 for £2,150.
When the property was Grade listed in October 1952 it was known as Quinville House. The vendors purchased it in the mid 1990s after it had been run for some years as a country house hotel and spa called Mallets. The property had been left unoccupied for over a year and had become somewhat dilapidated. The vendors undertook a comprehensive restoration programme including replacing the kitchen, replacing and upgrading all the en suites and the bathroom, and upgrading the wiring and plumbing.
The reception hall has a vaulted ceiling with exposed beams, a Fired Earth tiled floor, a brick fireplace with a log burner, dual aspect windows and a door to the rear garden. The spacious inner hall has a full turn staircase with individual balustrades to the first floor. Natural light is provided by a double height window overlooking the rear garden and there is room for a seating area in the window embrasure overlooking the rear garden. A side hall has a door and steps down to the drive.
Principal Reception Rooms
There are three reception rooms in the central part of the house. The sitting room has two sash windows overlooking the rear garden. There are decorative wall panels, coving, and a marble fireplace with a slate hearth and a log burning stove. The vendors installed fireplaces in the family and dining rooms. In the family room the fireplace has a Cherry wood surround and a log burning stove. The dining room has exposed Oak flooring, an ornate ceiling rose, and the fireplace has a stone surround and an open grate. Both these rooms have bay windows overlooking the front gardens.
Other Reception Rooms
The other reception rooms are in the two single storey wings. The triple aspect L-shaped games room in the east wing has a snooker table and a table tennis table and a door leads to an adjoining cloakroom. There is a brick fireplace with an electric stove, a bay window to the front and doors to the rear garden. The TV room is in the other wing and used to be divided into three smaller store rooms. While renovating and removing the partitions the vendors also discovered a brick open fireplace. The room now measures just under 22 ft. and has a high vaulted ceiling with exposed beams and spotlights, exposed Oak flooring and doors to a gravel courtyard area and the drive.
Kitchen/Breakfast Room and Utility Room
The kitchen has a window to the rear with shutters and is fitted with a range of hand crafted units, including glazed display units, with wood and granite work surfaces incorporating a double Belfast sink. The island unit has further storage and incorporates a butchers block. A recess houses a four oven oil fired Aga. Other appliances include a Bosch dishwasher, a microwave, and a Neff electric oven with a slide and hide door. The tiled floor, with underfloor heating, continues into the adjacent breakfast room which has dual aspect windows to the front and rear, a part glazed door to the rear terrace, space for an American style fridge/freezer and space for a breakfast table to seat six. The utility room houses the boiler and has a tiled floor, a range of wooden units, an oversized sink, a washing machine and a door and window to the rear.
The side hall outside the breakfast room has a door to a raised porch with steps to the drive. Under this porch there are steps down to double doors accessing the cellars which extend over 52 ft. under the dining and family rooms. The cellars are currently used for storage but they were used as the gym when the house was a hotel. The internal staircase used at that time is still in place and could be reinstated if desired.
Principal Bedroom Suite
The main bedroom measures just under 24 ft. by 18ft. and has sash windows with far reaching views over countryside to the front. There is ornate ceiling coving, a fireplace, a built-in double wardrobe and an en suite cloakroom.
Other Bedrooms and Bathrooms
The guest bedroom on the ground floor is triple aspect including doors to the rear garden. It has a built-in wardrobe and an en suite shower room. There are three further bedrooms on the first floor, all with en suite shower rooms, two with fireplaces and built-in wardrobes. The family bathroom has an Airbath Jacuzzi bath, a double shower cubicle, a WC, a washbasin and extensive vanity storage furniture which includes a built-in dressing table.
The single storey west wing of the property, comprising the utility room, TV room, guest bedroom and en suite, could easily be made into a self-contained annexe if desired, with the utility room converted into a kitchen. This area has independent access from the drive and the small gravel courtyard, outside the entrance door and doors from the TV room, could be used as an outdoor seating area.
Tennis Court and Swimming Pool
The tennis court is in the elevated wooded section of the grounds behind the house and is surrounded by a chain link fence. The swimming pool has a retractable cover and a paved surround for seating. The pool house has arched areas with removable panels so that the pool can be opened to the garden in good weather. The pool house is in need of some refurbishment. A paved terrace outside the pool is shaded by a pergola with an established wisteria.
Gardens and Grounds
The gardens are a particular feature of the property and have been professionally landscaped. The south facing front garden has several mature trees and shrubs including magnolias, and a wisteria. The upper level has a sculptured hedge border and a central path which leads to steps down to the walled sunken garden. Both these areas have lawns and well stocked borders with established shrubs and flowers, and the sunken garden also has a paved seating area. At the rear there is a paved terrace area spanning the width of the property for outside dining and entertaining. Steps lead up to terraced lawns with retaining walls. The elevated wooded area has far reaching views over the surrounding countryside and a wide variety of mature trees. The hexagonal thatched summer house has power connected. There is a vegetable garden behind the garage and a lean to greenhouse against the retaining wall.
The property is within walking distance of amenities in the village which include a village church, a shop, two public houses and a lower school which is rated as good by Ofsted. More comprehensive facilities are available in Flitwick and the Georgian market town of Ampthill. Milton Keynes, which has one of the largest covered shopping centres in Europe and a wide range of leisure facilities, is less than 30 minutes drive. Maulden is about 20 minutes drive from the M1 and the A1 for commuting by car, and Flitwick (3 miles away) has rail services to St. Pancras International in 41 minutes. The Harpur Trust Schools in Bedford are about 9.7 miles away.