Buying a brand-new home means contemporary décor, stylish fixtures and fittings, high levels of energy efficiency and lower running costs. Not to mention good internet access and fast, effective, full fibre broadband.
Written by Wesley Muchimwe | 8th January 2019
Home Town New Home
New Year, New Build? Buying a brand-new home
The brand-new homes we have on the market at Michael Graham certainly tick their fair share of boxes on any buyers wish-list. So whether you’re a young family looking for your first home; downsizing to something more manageable; or buying as an investment, what do you need to consider when buying a brand-new home?
- The location: As with any property buying decision, research the local area thoroughly. Check out schools, transport links, shops and amenities and make sure they meet your needs.
- Show homes: If you are buying a new house on a development, there is usually a show home where you can see the developer's standard finishes and the quality of the workmanship. Take a look around and clarify what is included in the asking price as standard. For example, built in wardrobes in the master bedroom are usually standard but are an extra in other bedrooms. Check the location of power, television and telephone points and ask if white goods are included in the asking price. They usually are but it is worth confirming.
- Buying off plan: If you buy a new home off plan, you choose a plot then pay a deposit. Check how much of that deposit will be refunded if your circumstances change and you suddenly find yourself unable to complete the purchase. Once the deposit is paid you will be kept informed about the scheduled completion date, with regular meetings on site to see your home take shape.
- Explore the site: Before you commit to a plot, get an overall feel for how the development will look on completion. Consider the garden you want. South facing is usually preferable.
- Fixtures and fittings: Ask the developer if you can choose kitchen work tops, tiles and flooring. The earlier you reserve your new home, the more options you will have.
- Peace of mind: Newly built homes come with a warranty and insurance that lasts from five to ten years. For instance, on the Michael Graham website we have two brand-new, four-bedroom detached townhouses for sale on the Fairfields development in Milton Keynes that come with a ten-year National House-Building Council (NHBC) Guarantee and a two-year Barratt Homes warranty. NHBC is the leading home construction warranty and insurance provider for new and newly-converted homes in the UK. Make sure you are absolutely clear about what any warranty covers and keep a copy of the policy.
- Shorter property chain: Buying a new build home can avoid complicated property chains and their inevitable stresses and strains. Something we’d love to help you avoid in 2019.
Do you love your new build home? Please let us know via our social channels and for Michael Graham town and country properties to buy or to rent, including fabulous new build houses, have a look on our Buying page.