With the number of Covid-19 cases rising across the country, the government has ordered a second lockdown in England from Thursday 5th November to Wednesday 2nd December to slow the spread of the virus and save lives. Non-essential retail will close during this time, but the Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has confirmed that the housing market in England will stay open.
Written by Wesley Muchimwe | 2nd November 2020
An Update on Coronavirus - 2nd November 2020
Estate agents, letting agents, removal firms and tradespeople can still go inside homes and you are free to move house as long as strict Covid safety guidance is followed.
Since the start of the pandemic keeping our staff and customers safe has been more important than anything else. We remain committed to keeping you moving safely during this time and have updated our Covid-policy in line with the new guidance. Please take a moment to read the answers below to some of the most commonly asked questions:
1. What are the rules on viewing properties? As long as you are not displaying any Covid-19 symptoms such as a temperature or a new and continuous cough you can view a property and allow viewings in your home, provided that all social distancing rules are followed and masks and gloves worn. At Michael Graham we ask that home owners step outside of their property while a viewing is in progress. Our agents will limit the viewing time to around 15 minutes where possible.
2. My home is not yet on the market, can I view a property? Speculative viewings should take place via our 3-D immersive virtual tours where available. We strongly encourage customers to only request a physical viewing if they have a very keen interest in the property and are in a financial position to proceed with an offer.
3. How many people can go on a viewing? Only one household can accompany the agent on a viewing and children should not be taken along if at all possible to limit the number of people inside the property at any one time. If prospective buyers or tenants are currently from separate households and wish to view the property on the same occasion, one half of the buying pair must leave the property before the other can enter.
4. How will viewings be conducted? Prior to any viewing, the prospective buyer/tenant and seller/landlord will be asked to confirm that they have not presented any of the symptoms associated with Covid-19 in the previous 7 days. No viewing will go ahead if either party has shown symptoms or has been self-isolating. During a viewing you must comply with government guidelines that include following social distancing rules, wearing a face mask and avoiding touching surfaces. Your Michael Graham agent will have a supply of masks and gloves should you need them. We will talk through all these measures with you once a viewing is confirmed.
5. As a seller or landlord, what do I need to do to prepare for viewings? Please ensure good ventilation inside your home by opening windows and all internal doors prior to the viewing. Provide hand sanitiser for use by visitors on arrival and if you’re happy to do so, please allow access to handwashing facilities and leave out paper towels. Your estate agent will remind potential buyers/tenants not to touch surfaces, but after the viewing, please spray or wipe down door handles with an antibacterial cleaning product.
6. Who will be allowed into my property? During this second lockdown, prospective buyers or tenants, estate agents, letting agents, conveyancers, surveyors, tradespeople and removal workers are all allowed to enter your property, as long as social distancing guidelines are followed and masks worn.
7. How have your working practices changed to ensure the safety of your estate agents? All of our Michael Graham offices were risk assessed at the start of the pandemic and signage put in place to ensure our team and all visitors adhered to the government guidance for social distancing. We review the situation every day. During this second lockdown our Covid-secure offices are happy to receive customers by appointment only.
As ever, our Michael Graham team are just a phone call or email away if you have any further questions. Please don’t hesitate to contact us and rest assured that we are working as hard as ever to keep your home move progressing safely. If you would like a free market appraisal or advice in this uncertain time, contact your nearest Michael Graham office by clicking here