How much is my home worth?
To sell To rent
Request a Viewing
A nine bedroom manor house with Elizabethan and Victorian origins, potential for a self-contained wing/annexe, outbuildings, garaging, stables and approximately 2.6 acres of land.

Property Highlights

  • Grade II listed manor
  • Nine bedrooms: one en suite
  • Two bathrooms
  • Five reception rooms
  • Great Hall
  • Kitchen/breakfast and utility
  • Garage, stables and outbuildings
  • 2.6 acre plot with an ornamental lake

Wavendon Manor has just under 6,700 sq. ft. of accommodation set over three floors. There is an Elizabethan reception hall, six reception rooms, a conservatory and an orchid house. There are two kitchens, a utility room and a former servants’ hall which could be used as a breakfast room. There are nine bedrooms and three bathrooms. One wing can be separated from the main house and has been rented out in the past and is independently metered for electricity. The house has been kept up to date with modern plumbing and electrics, and a new roof on the main house in 2005. The period features have been sedulously maintained including the use of the original cast iron Victorian radiators in the central heating system. There is a fine collection of original Elizabethan and Victorian fireplaces, the latter with decorative tiled inserts in various designs.

History and heritage

Wavendon Manor was originally built in the 16th century but was extensively extended in the Victorian period. The property was purchased in 1797 by Sir Henry Hoare 3rd Baronet and the Hoare family owned in the house until 1919 when they inherited Stourhead House (now National Trust) and moved to Wiltshire. Among other additions, the Hoare family added the room known as The Great Hall in 1880 when it was used as a billiard room. It is currently used as a music room because of its excellent acoustics. In 1919 the house was purchased by the Honourable Linda Clarke and Charles Henry Geoffrey Mansfield Clarke Major. Linda Blanche Clarke was the youngest child of Lord Penrhyn of Penrhyn castle (also National Trust). The Manor was then inherited by Sybil, Vice Countess Portman. In 1894 the political author, Charles Whibley lived at the Manor. His sister in law was married to Whistler the painter. Wavendon Manor was given Grade II listed status in March 1952.

Ground Floor

A half glazed timber door opens into the reception hall which is situated in the Elizabethan part of the house. This has the original Elizabethan flagstone floor, an original Elizabethan hand carved Totternhoe stone fireplace, and beams to the walls. A door from the reception hall opens to the dining room and another door to the inner hall which accesses the rest of the house.

Reception Rooms

The dual aspect dining room is in the Elizabethan part of the house. It has original Queen Anne panelling - which was added in 1710 - and a Queen Anne fireplace. There are windows to the front and side which still have the original shutters. There are built- in shelved cupboards behind the panelling on one wall, window seats and solid pine flooring. The dual aspect drawing room has French doors opening to the terrace and a walk-in bay window with glazed display cabinets on either side. The Victorian fireplace was designed by John Moyr Smith in 1875 and features a solid walnut surround with gilded carved fruit and Aesthetic movement Minton tiles depicting Aesop’s fables. The room has been fitted with original Victorian radiators. The library has a range of original 19th century fitted bookshelves, built-in cupboards and a Victorian fireplace with Aesthetic movement Minton tiles featuring birds and frogs designed by John and Christian Hénk in 1882.

The Great Hall

The triple aspect Great Hall has walk-in bay windows to the rear and side, and a feature stained glass Arts and Craft window above the fireplace. The original fireplace has 18th century Delft tiles, a concealed flue and a multi-fuel fire. There is a polished pine floor, original window shutters, a vaulted ceiling and skylights. A grille in the floor covers a recess containing the radiators.

Rear Hallway, Media Room and Cloakroom

A door from The Great Hall leads to a rear hallway which in turn leads to the media room and a cloakroom. The cloakroom is fitted with a wash basin and WC. The media room has a slate floor with underfloor heating, elm beams, brick pillars and a vaulted ceiling. It is wired for broadband. A door to the side leads to the courtyard garden across from the utility room.

Kitchen/Breakfast Room and Utility Room

The kitchen has a quarry tiled floor and is fitted with a range of solid oak base and drawer units with teak work surfaces incorporating a double Belfast sink.. There are two integrated fridges, an integrated freezer and a gas fired four oven Aga. There is display shelving and an original Victorian dresser. The utility room is fitted with solid oak wall and drawer units, granite worktops, a stainless steel sink and a quarry tiled floor. There is an integrated dishwasher, a built under Moffat electric oven, a four burner gas hob with an extractor over, and space and plumbing for a washing machine and tumble dryer. The rear door opens to a courtyard.

First Floor Principal Bedroom

Stairs from the inner hall lead up to the first floor landings, bedrooms and bathrooms. The main landing is galleried and leads to the master bedroom and the tower bedroom. The inner landing has several built-in linen cupboards and a cloakroom with a WC, a washbasin and a window to the rear. The dual aspect master bedroom has a walk-in bay window overlooking the grounds and a window to the side. There is a Victorian fireplace, a walk-in wardrobe and a carpet. The en suite shower room is fitted with a walk-in shower cubicle, a wash basin, a WC and storage cupboards.

Other Bedrooms

The dual aspect tower bedroom has a Victorian fireplace designed by Thomas Jeckyll in 1880 which has a fire insert depicting moths. There are built-in wardrobes and under window storage. The third and fourth bedrooms are in the Elizabethan part of the house. Bedroom three has the original Elizabethan hand carved Totternhoe stone fireplace, exposed beams and wardrobes with mirror fronts. Bedroom four has a small inglenook fireplace and a walk-in cupboard which would be large enough to convert into an en suite if desired.


The bathroom is fitted with a roll top slipper bath, a separate shower cubicle, a WC and a wash basin set into a vanity unit. There is a solid oak floor, exposed beams and a window to the rear.

Second Floor

There are four further bedrooms and a shower room on the second floor. This is a versatile space, accessed via two staircases, which lends itself to a variety of uses. The rooms could alternatively be used as playrooms or storage rooms, or adapted into a teenager’s suite with a sitting room and study as well as a bedroom.

Self-Contained Wing

There is the potential to create a self-contained wing in the former servants’ quarters in the Elizabethan part of the house. A door from the driveway leads into a small hall with a cloakroom. Doors lead to the second fitted kitchen and what was originally the servants’ sitting room. This room still has a complete set of servants’ bells, a stone fireplace, and a quarry tiled floor. The servants’ stairs lead up to a bedroom and dressing room on the first floor and another bedroom and a shower room on the second floor. This area can be securely separated from the main house and could be rented out or used as a self-contained annexe or guest wing.


A sweeping gravelled drive leads past an ornamental lake to the front of the house where there is parking for several cars The property has formal gardens of approximately 1.6 acres to the front and rear with mature trees including horse chestnut, cedar, mulberry and fig. There are extensive lawn areas with plants and shrubs. There are two rear courtyards, one with a vegetable patch and one with a covered well. There is also a 1 acre paddock. The ornamental lake is surrounded by trees and shrubs and is home to a colony of ducks.


Attached to the main house there is a garage, several store rooms, two stables and a tack room which has the original Victorian fitted cupboards and fireplace. There is also a detached outbuilding with stables and a store. The vendor has made a planning application to develop this area into a two bedroom annexe. There is also a covered store and an original Victorian apple store.


Wavendon is a village and civil parish in the south east of the borough of Milton Keynes and ceremonial county of Buckinghamshire, England. There is a Tea Estate called Wavendon in Sri Lanka, in the Nuwara Eliya district. It was founded in the 1860s and the owner came from Wavendon. The village name is an old English language word and means 'Wafa's Hill'. In the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle in 969 the village was recorded as Wafandun. The ancient village lies just outside the south east of Milton Keynes itself. The ecclesiastic parish of Wavendon anciently contained the hamlet of Woburn Sands, which became a separate civil parish in 1907. The village is best known today for being the location of the Stables Theatre live music venue and the 'Wavendon All-music Plan@ music summer schools. The venue is the brainchild of the late Sir John Dankworth and his wife, Dame Cleo Laine (who continues to live in the village).


Full planning and listed building consent has now been passed for change of use of the detached stables and store rooms to construct a two bedroom residential Annex with rear extension.

Fast Find: 8142