- Grade II listed Country House
- Seven first floor bedrooms plus kitchen, offices and six bath/shower rooms
- Five ground floor reception rooms plus kitchen/breakfast room
- Cellars on lower ground floor
- Second floor one bedroom apartment plus four bedrooms, offices and bath/shower rooms
- Separate three bedroom cottage
- Garaging and storage rooms
- Potential Hotel/Hospitality/Event Venue
The property itself was originally constructed in 1800 by the renowned architect, George Byfield, for Sir James Duberley and remained in his family until 1940. It is a house of both architectural and historic interest and provides in excess of 20,000 sq. ft of useable space over three floors.
History and Heritage
There are historic references to a house on the site since 1116 and there are foundations of a previous 17th century house visible in the cellars. From 1599 Sir Oliver Cromwell was a tenant of the Gaynes Hall Estate for 21 years. During World War II the house was requisitioned and used by the Special Operations Executive (SOE) which was set up by Winston Churchill to coordinate sabotage and covert operations behind enemy lines. After the war, it was used as offices and the Governors residence for Gaynes Hall borstal until its closure in 1983. In more recent years it has been used as a company headquarters and a private residence. There is in excess of 20,000 sq. ft. of accommodation over three floors.
The house retains many period and traditional features including the double doorway entrance, which is flanked by Pilasters and has glazed doors with fanlights and side lights. There is an oval entrance hall, with flanking round head niches and early 19th century moulded panelling which continues through to the ground floor rooms, hall and staircase. The hall is galleried with a top lit ceiling and an open string staircase of four flights. In addition, there are panelled shutters and six panelled doors. One of the reception rooms has a 19th century white marble fireplace and there is a late 17th century moulded fireplace in another room. A family crest, seen in many of the principal rooms, makes reference to the early import of exotic fruits. There is a three bedroom cottage requiring full modernisation and refurbishment.
The property in its current format could be converted for use as a grand Country House of excellent proportions. It could alternatively be converted for use as a company headquarters, a boutique hotel, or a wedding venue and has historic planning permission granted for the erection of small industrial units. All of the above would be subject to obtaining the necessary consents from the local authority planning and heritage departments. The office space on the first and second floor to the rear of the main building is currently let and has official B2 commercial usage.
Perry is a village and civil parish in Cambridgeshire which lies approximately 8 miles south-west of Huntingdon. It is in Huntingdonshire which is a district of Cambridgeshire as well as being a historic county of England. Perry lies on the shore of a reservoir, Grafham Water, just 8 miles from the market town of St Neots and 4 miles from the A1 Buckden. Huntingdon station is approximately 8 miles away and has rail links to London Kings Cross in 60 minutes. The independent Harpur Trust schools can also be found in Bedford and Kimbolton School is approximately 4 miles away.