- Grade I listed Queen Anne house
- Four reception rooms, two kitchens
- Twelve bedrooms, six bathrooms
- Licensed function rooms
- Approx. 37 acres in all
- Four flats, three cottages and outbuildings
- Formal gardens, mature parkland, lakes and woodland
- Bedford mainline station to London St Pancras approx. 40 minutes
Hinwick House has been renovated and restored and is on the market for only the third time in 300 years. The estate consists of a Grade I Queen Anne house and Victorian wing set in 37 acres. There are outbuildings including garaging, stables/tack room, stores, an 18th century clock tower, dovecote and 3 estate cottages as well as further accommodation in the Victorian wing. There are formal gardens to include a Georgian walled garden, an orchard and paddock and grounds which consist of mature parkland, two lakes, woodland and a stream.
A Manor House is believed to have stood on the grounds of Hinwick House since the 15th Century, the remains of such manifest themselves in the three Turret cottages. Originally a single dwelling, it was the Orlebar family home when they bought the estate from Sir Thomas Alston in 1653 for £355. Richard Orlebar began the building of the Queen Anne house in 1710 and completed in 1714. Designed by John Hunt of Northampton, who carved the large bas-relief of Diana on the south front, he is reputed to have been a pupil of the famous Grinling Gibbons. The pediment that depicts Diana, the goddess of hunting, was Mr Orlebars compliment to his wife (nee Diana Astry of Henbury, Gloucestershire) as much of her money was used to build the house. They were both keen fox hunters.
The house was built of local stone dug out of its own cellars, the ha-ha and stone pit. The total cost was £3,848 4s 9d and today it represents a very pure example of domestic Queen Anne architecture. The ornamental stonework was generally carved from Kenton stone. The oak timber for the most part came from Mr Orlebars own plantations, but was supplemented from Sir Thomas Alstons large wood at Odell (a neighbouring parish) and also from Rockingham Forest. In 1859, Mr Richard Longuet Orlebar added the Victorian Wing to a design by FC Penrose. In the 1880s, the house became a school and during World War 1 was used as an auxiliary hospital for convalescing wounded soldiers.
Hinwick House is now on the market for only the third time in three hundred years, having come to the end of an extensive renovation and restoration program by the current owner.
Hinwick House is approached from the northern boundary through automated iron gates that hang on stone pillars leading to a gravel drive that arrives to a large turning area at the eastern elevation of the house. Hinwick House is a Grade I Listed architectural triumph. The principal part is built of finely coarsed Ketton and Weldon limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and is built over three floors with extensive cellars. There are a number of fine architectural features including the large carved pediment on the south elevation and the ornate architrave featuring the Orlebar family crest that envelopes the front door.
The front door opens to the Morning Room with high ceilings, York flagstone flooring, two large stone fireplaces and doors that lead off. The principal part of the house has extremely fine reception rooms including a beautiful Drawing Room with five sash windows, and with doors leading to the Morning Room, West Hall and Library. The library is partly oak panelled with built-in bookcases and French doors to the terrace to the west. The main staircase in the West Hall is a magnificent piece of joinery and is attributed to Daniel Wyman, whilst much of the houses decorative plasterwork is attributed to John Woolston - Both men were highly regarded for their respective trades in their time.
The magnificent cantilevered staircase sweeps gently up from the West Hall to a gallery landing on the first floor. Both the first and second floors boast excellent bedroom accommodation, all with views of different parts of the Estate. In all, there are 12 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms over the two upper floors, with an additional kitchen and family/media room on the top floor.
Flats: Adjoined to the Queen Anne house is a later Victorian wing constructed in 1860 by F.C.Penrose and listed Grade I. This part of the property is currently used as two 3 bedroom flats, one over the other, and benefit from their own access via the stable courtyard. Both flats have a kitchen, dining room and study. This section of the wing would lend itself for conversion either to a larger single dwelling or incorporated back into the principal house, subject to planning.
Function Rooms: The northern end of the Victorian wing has a full license for commercial entertainment use and is regularly used for wedding receptions and corporate functions or when the house is hosting photo shoots, music videos, festivals and TV period dramas. The larger North Hall bar/restaurant can host up to 150 people and a bespoke fully-lined marquee sits within the rear courtyard allowing up to 200 people to be seated.
Gardens and Grounds
The formal gardens at Hinwick House surround the property on two sides. To the east are a number of mature lime trees that flank the drive and the lawn wraps around to the south side of the house. The lawns are bounded by a clipped conifer hedge and beyond the gardens are approximately 15 acres of wonderful parkland that slope gently down to a small valley. Within the valley to the south west of the house are two ornamental brook-fed lakes and beyond them is a grove of mature woodland extensively planted with Oaks, Sycamores, Limes, Yew and Box. To the west of the principal garden is the site of the old tennis court, currently used for garden machinery and estate storage but has planning permission for an extensive Cart Barn for garaging and stables. Extending to an area of approximately 11 acres, to the west of the main estate buildings are traditional Queen Anne and Georgian walled gardens including a listed medieval dovecote and further parkland to the North West with woodland, an orchard, paddock and stream in the bottom of the valley. This area could offer the opportunity for development in association with the restoration of the Listed buildings and structures on the site.
The property extends to approximately 37 acres in total.
Outbuildings (all Grade II listed)
Clock Tower - To the west of the house is the 18th Century Clock Tower with twin staircases that rise to a gallery. The clock tower is adjoined and backs onto the Turret Cottages. Stable Courtyard - The east flank of the stable courtyard is made up of the Victorian wing of the principal house whilst the west flank consists of 3 Stables, tack room/ store, workshop, garaging with hay loft over.
The Turret Cottages and Tack Room - Presently three 2 bedroom rental properties with planning consent on the adjacent tack room for conversion to a single dwelling. It is the oldest property on the estate and was the former Orlebar family home prior to the construction of the Queen Anne house in 1710. The cottages benefit from a stone and red brick walled garden and enjoy wonderful views over the grounds.
Hinwick is a hamlet in North West Bedfordshire positioned 5 miles from Wellingborough, 12 miles from Bedford, 14 miles from Northampton and 18 miles from Milton Keynes. All these cater for extensive shopping requirements. Junction 14 of the M1 is about 16 miles away providing access to the countrys motorway network. London is approximately 65 miles away.
Trains to London St Pancras from Bedford take approximately 40 minutes whilst trains from Wellingborough to London take approximately 50 minutes.
There are a number of excellent schools in the area including: Wellingborough, Great Houghton, Bedford Modern, Kimbolton, Spratton Hall, Maidwell Hall, Oundle and Stowe.
The local area has a wide array of sporting facilities including a number of golf courses, hunting with the Pytchley, Woodland Pytchley and the Grafton. There is racing at Newmarket, Huntingdon and Towcester and fishing at Grafham Water.
From the M1 take the exit at J14 and follow the A509 north and proceed through Olney towards Wellingborough. After approximately thirteen miles from the M1 turn right at the roundabout into Bozeat and follow signs to Hinwick. Proceed around the village towards Podington and the house and Parkland can be seen on your left.