How much is my home worth?
To sell To rent
Request a Viewing
A Grade II listed Georgian five bedroom Gentleman's residence with approximately 36 acres, stabling, groom's cottage and guest apartment.

Property Highlights

  • Grade II listed Georgian former hunting lodge
  • Five bedrooms
  • Five reception rooms
  • Four bathrooms
  • Grooms cottage and guest apartment
  • Outbuildings, stable block and stable yard
  • Grounds of approx. 36 acres

Highlands Farm is a late Georgian house thought to have been constructed in 1805 for use as a hunting lodge by W Walker, a London businessman who bought the site at auction. He died in 1825 and is buried in the village of Northill. In the next 100 years the house was tenanted, and the land attached to farms and holdings in the area. In 1924 Colonel Shuttleworth purchased the house and during World War II it was used for Italian prisoners of war. After the war it was given by Mrs Shuttleworth to Air Commodore Alan Wheeler. It remained empty for many years and was in need of a total restoration. In 1973 it was purchased by the Manning family who carried out a full refurbishment, restoring the property to reflect its history and character. The current owners bought it in 1991 and have continued to improve the house and its equestrian facilities.

About the House

Piano Nobile

A two wing perron leads up to the entrance door which has an arched fanlight window above. The entrance hall has archways, wooden flooring and the original staircase. The cloakroom is fitted with a white Heritage suite. The kitchen/breakfast room overlooks the stableyard and is fitted with a bespoke range of cream fronted units, including a central island unit, with granite work surfaces. There is an inset butcher's block and integrated appliances include a four oven oil fired Aga with a two oven electric back up facility, a combination oven, steam oven, dishwasher, concealed double larder fridge and a coffee machine. The orangery is at the rear of the property and is of bespoke hardwood and brick construction under a vaulted ceiling and the slate flooring incorporates underfloor heating.

Lower Ground Floor

The inner hall has flagstone flooring, a coats hanging room and a walk-in shelved pantry. The utility room is fitted with a bespoke range of units with space and plumbing for a washing machine and tumble dryer. Bedroom five is a double bedroom with an open fireplace and the bathroom is fitted with a white Heritage suite. At the front of the house there is a cellar and a study, and to the rear is a games room incorporating a bar area and large enough to house a full sized snooker table. To the far end of this room there is a separate WC.

Reception Rooms

The drawing room and sitting room are at the front of the house; the drawing room has a stripped pine fireplace and the sitting room has a marble fireplace. The study overlooks the garden and also has a marble fireplace as well as two stripped pine dresser style units.

First Floor

A mezzanine level looks over the orangery and the stairs continue to the part galleried landing. The master bedroom has a marble fireplace, oak flooring and an en suite shower room. The guest bedroom has a cast iron fireplace and a concealed door to the en suite shower room. Bedroom three is a dual aspect room overlooking the courtyard. Bedroom four has an open fireplace. All four bedrooms have built-in wardrobes. The dressing room has a range of wardrobes, cupboards and drawers, and the family bathroom is fitted with a white suite and includes a double ended bath and a shower enclosure.

Outbuildings and Grounds

Groom's Cottage

A single storey one bedroom cottage with a sitting room, kitchen and bathroom.

Garage/Workshop

The garage/workshop is of featherboard elevations under a pitched tiled roof and incorporates a WC and a tack room. To the rear of the garage there is an industrial boiler which provides heating to the house.

Thatched Barn

The detached barn is Grade II listed and of featherboard construction under a pitched thatched roof.

Stableyard and Stable Block

There is a Monarch horse walker within the stableyard, and a detached American barn style stable block which consists of six loose boxes with doors to the paddocks to the rear. An adjacent barn incorporates a hay barn and two foaling boxes. There is a brick stable block dating from the 17th century, comprising nine loose boxes.

Horse Solarium and Guest Apartment

The horse solarium has a door to a general storage room on the ground floor and a spiral staircase leading to the first floor guest apartment which consists of a bedroom, sitting room, bathroom and kitchen.

Arena

Situated directly to the front of the house is a 60' x 25' all weather rubber arena enclosed by post and rail fencing, also incorporating a stallion paddock.

Driveway and Formal Gardens

Access to Highlands Farm is provided from Bedford Road via a long driveway which leads to a pillared entrance with inset remotely operated gates opening into the main driveway. The driveway sweeps round to the front of the property as well as leading to the rear and the formal gardens and main courtyard, allowing access to all outbuildings and the stabling.

Gardens

The formal gardens feature a beautifully walled area to the north of the property which incorporates an extensive flagstone outside entertaining area which leads to sweeping lawns. In addition, there is an orchard which leads down to a meadow, where there is a small lake set amongst mature trees.

Grounds

In all the grounds total approximately 36 acres including the paddocks and formal gardens. The paddocks are sub-divided with post and rail fencing and have water supplies readily available.

Northill

The historic village of Northill has a parish church, lower school, village hall and public house/restaurant. An ancient May Day celebration between Northill and the neighbouring village of Ickwell is believed to have been in operation since circa 1565.

Amenities

For everyday amenities the market town of Biggleswade is just 4 miles away and Cambridge, with shopping, theatre, arts and leisure facilities is just a 30 minute drive. Northill Church of England Lower School is rated good by Ofsted, and the private Harpur Trust schools in Bedford are approximately 7 miles away.

Travel

Biggleswade railway station has rail links to London Kings Cross in approximately 47 minutes, whilst Bedford railway station has rail links to London St. Pancras International. International destinations are accessible from Luton Airport which is approximately 24 miles away. The A1(M) can be accessed at Sandy which is approximately 3 miles away.

Request a Viewing